Join Our Team
Reports to: Production Manager
Under the direction of the Production Manager, the Technical Director serves as a key member of Paper Mill’s Production Department. The Technical Director works closely with the design and creative teams for each production, facilitating communication with scenic, prop, electrics and sound shops, Local 21 stagehands and PMP management.
Administrative responsibilities require regular 8-hour Monday through Friday daytime office hours and operational activities late nights and weekends. Responsibilities extend to the PMP Main Stage, all areas backstage, and PMP Warehouse. Local travel is required on a regular basis.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent form of Education
- Ten years of technical theatre experience with 5 years in a supervisory position.
- Experience in regional and/or touring theatre and union contracts; in both business office and artistic environments.
- Excellent work ethic, including but not limited to: time and work management, self-motivation, interpersonal and collaborative skills.
- Ability to communicate professionally, effectively and consistently both in person and in written correspondence; and to run efficient and productive meetings.
- Proficiency on PC using Outlook, Excel, Word, AutoCad, etc.
- Ability to create and maintain comprehensive and accurate budgets and paperwork.
- Familiarity with scenic drafting and building techniques as well as rigging, lighting, projections, effects, and sound equipment and specifications.
- Some design experience preferred.
- Valid Driver’s License and clean DMV report required
- Assist the Production Manager with the budgeting and production scheduling for PMP Main Stage productions, PMP Education Department activities, facility rentals, and any/all other PMP events.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the budget and with the Production Manager to ensure that the production is delivered on budget. Pro-actively seek suggestions for economies and manage cost-effectiveness for physical production elements and all related labor costs.
- Create, track, and analyze stagehand labor budgets for all Main Stage productions and events.
- Supervise IATSE crew, scheduling work hours, providing direction, supervision, and assigning work. Work with crew to ensure that each physical production will function as required and that all mechanical and specialized equipment is ready to operate.
- Set all work calls for Local 21 stagehands.
- Establish, supervise and approve weekly payroll for Local 21stagehands.
- Establish Main Stage production season design deadlines.
- Achieve and maintain an understanding of artistic objectives for each show and provide input on design as well as technical advice and guidance to shops and crew.
- Coordinate with designers to ensure all design deadlines are met.
- Coordinate vendor bidding and negotiate rentals and purchases.
- Track vendor bids and create documentation for analysis and comparison.
- Coordinate the build schedule with scenic and prop shops to ensure deadlines are met.
- Oversee the build process to ensure that designs are carried out as specified by the designer and meet PMP safety standards.
- Coordinate show sequencing and staffing needs with the Production Manager, Director and Stage Management.
- Oversee pre-production, load-ins, load-outs, technical rehearsals, preview performances and production meetings to ensure creative notes are achieved and process stays on budget & schedule
- Arrange and coordinate all trucking needs for rehearsals, load ins/outs, vendor deliveries, etc.
- Maintain inventories of all rental packages in storage at PMP warehouse.
- Arrange and coordinate all cross-loads and shipping of all rental packages.
- Supervise all PMP events and activities to ensure that technical needs are met.
- Supervise the organization and maintenance of PMP warehouse and storage areas.
- Supervise the maintenance of machinery, equipment, tools, shop facilities and repairs.
- Manage personnel safety and uphold safety protocols within the department. Institute and participate in all required safety training.
- Maintain the organization of the server filing system of the PMP Production Department for all documentation.
- Collaborate with the Production Manager in planning general production operations.
- Other responsibilities as assigned
This is a full-time salaried position with competitive benefits. Paper Mill Playhouse is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages a diverse applicant pool for this position.
Please send resumes with references to:
Anne Pollock, Human Resources Manager
or Fax: 973-315-1424
No phone calls please
Reports to: Subscription Manager
The Paper Mill Playhouse is seeking a part-time Subscription Sales and Customer Service Representative. Successful candidate will provide sales support and customer service for our theatre patrons. Strong communication skills, PC literacy and a customer service aptitude required.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Staffing the subscription hotline, accepting subscription renewal, new acquisition, and single ticket sales.
- Providing customer service with a friendly and service-oriented demeanor and a positive attitude.
- Troubleshooting individual customer’s issues and navigate them through proper channels.
- Providing information on all of our programming and the various ways our guests can participate in our organization as Members or Donors.
- Processing and filing internal orders from within the organization.
- Being able to work well with others in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent communications skills.
- Experience with credit card, cash, and check transactions.
- Experience with Patron Edge ticketing system a plus.
- Flexible hours Monday-Friday 10:00am-6:00pm.
Please email resume and cover letter to: Casey Hughes, Subscriptions Manager,